2 Jun 2015

1W1P - w/o 1st June 2015

One Week One Playlist

Caught - Florence + The Machine
Pleasant, rather old fashioned track featuring an unusually inoffensive vocal performance by Welch.

Hey - Slaves
No-nonsense thrashing about from this new modern British punk band, that also happens to be beautifully recorded.  Excellent!

Reapers - Muse
Clear homage to Rage Against The Machine in this one.  I never bought their tortured droning, so while I'm sure some Muse fans will bemoan Mutt Lange's production, I think it's a welcome change of tone!

Lean On - Major Lazer, MØ, DJ Snake
I liked this track on first hearing and I'm liking it more and more on second and third... This is what they should have done with the 90s production revival rather than just re-hashing the same old shit. Lovely.

Ready - Kodaline
Unremarkable Coldplay-alike.

Put Me Down - Aquilo
Reminds me of those 80s blue-eyed-soul bands like Hue & Cry.  Doesn't do it for me, but there are some pleasant noises.  And it's short.

The Hills - The Weeknd
Now, this one isn't very good, but I'll be very interested to hear the stuff this bloke comes out with when he grows up a bit.  Lot of potential...

Get Low - 50 Cent, Jeremiah, T.I., 2 Chainz
All Fiddy's promotion for the new album suggests this is a NEW sound, more mature than his previous work, and showing how much he's developed since 2003's Get Rich or Die Tryin'.  Now, I'm no expert on hip hop, but lyrically speaking, I can assure you this is just another massive $wag & Hoes cliché.

B a noBody - SOAK
Very nice song, with a production designed with Teen Drama placement firmly in mind. A bit like Birdy but much less awful.

Some Kind of Heaven - Hurts
Not very good at all.

Somebody - Natalie La Rose, Jeremih
Awful music for awful people.

Together - CAZZETTE, Newtimers
I guess there must be a market for this sort of crap, but much like the Kodaline and Natalie La Rose tracks it's a bit depressing that people still haven't moved on.  This could have appeared on any Hed Kandi compilation from the last 15 years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...